The city of Vaasa was founded in 1606 by king Charles IX of Sweden, but received city privileges five years later when it also got the name Wasa. From the middle of the 19th century the city was called Nikolaistad but took the current name in 1917. The city is situated in Ostrobothnia in the administrative province of Western and is bilingual. About 25% of the city's population is Swedish speaking.
Inhabitants:60000 Area:397 square kilometres Area code:06